DeArmond.net

Thoughts, adventures, projects, and photography by Shawn DeArmond

Drupal Development Workflow with Git

November 12, 2012 - 11:34am -- Shawn

At the 2012 Bay Area Drupal Camp, I presented a session laying out a possible dev-test-live development workflow branching model using Git. This continues on from the session I presented last year, Beginning Git.

This presentation borrowed heavily from two sources: First, an article on a successful Git branching model that describes, among other things, the process for maintaining a useful dev branch, and allowing feature and bug fix branches to always branch off of that one. The second source is a class I helped develop for Chapter Three called Drupal Development Best Practices. Much of this session is covered in that class. Conveniently enough, Chapter Three is offering the class next month.

It's important to note that this is by no means the Only Way to do this. In fact, shortly following my presentation at BADCamp, I had several great discussions from other people who use other strategies. It was so neat to hear what people are doing with their own workflow. One person said that they prefer using tags for the Test and Live code pushes instead of separate branches. That's not a bad idea.

Git is so flexible that you can really make it work for you however you can work best. The most important thing, though, is to spend some time to develop (and document) a standard workflow that your whole team can follow. And then stick with it. SVN was easy: just use Trunk. Git is so exceedingly powerful that it can be ridiculously confusing if you are jumping into a team and don't know the workflow. It's too easy to screw it all up for everybody.

I made a screencast of the presentation, but I'm having trouble embedding it, so you'll have to settle for link to Vimeo for now.

Comments

Submitted by Christopher Dunning on

Hi Shawn,

I watched the screencast of this talk on Vimeo and found it extremely helpful. Thank you so much for making it available.

It seems at the end like you were going to discuss using Backup and Migrate but you ran out of time.

I have experimented a little with the module and it looks great, but I have a question about it and the workflow you describe in the Vimeo video.

If you are using B&M to move the database from live to test to dev, doesn't that also mean you are moving the user tables? I am working on a production site that has a bunch of users, both official contributors and public users. We won't advertise the test site address, but if someone were to find it they would be able to log in, right? How do you deal with this issue? Or if you are testing something that sends emails to all users of a certain type, and the user database is duplicated, you wouldn't have a proper testing environment.

Am I looking for trouble where none is likely to occur? Or is it just a matter of excluding the user tables when you do the backup and migrate? Or does that cause other problems?

Thanks for any help.

And thanks again for the great screencast.

Submitted by Ross00 on

Good contant have about Drupal Development Workflow with Git in this article. I like to know about Drupal Development which look like Wrodpress or Magento. So, it's easy for us to understand it and such articles help to know the different funtionalities of it. Actually, I also try to know about http://masterpapers.net/write-my-essay-for-me-cheap and this will good for me that i came here and got some useful points.

Submitted by CarolineSmith on

Structure a great Drupal website can be a complex and daunting development. There are several manufacturing, project and other possibilities connected with it. When it derives to structure Drupal sites through a team of designers, there's perhaps unknown more significant than creating a productive workflow. I am sure this information is useful for my students who are come to seek <a href="http://www.qualityassignment.co.uk/services/assignment-editing-services/... assignment editing services</a> at education consultancy. I also share this post with my academic team writer and recommend to more people.

Excellent screencast, Thank you!

Are you planing to do a screencast about data migration between different environments you gave as an example (dev/test/live) any time soon?

Submitted by levis on

Drupal advancement is effective among alternate CMS. Drupal most recent form has extremely rich arrangement of elements and functionalists. You can check with Drupal.org most recent Drupal overhauls.

Submitted by Harry on

Education is very important for all of us and we all have to get higher education. This post is related to education which is about Drupal Development Workflow with Git. I am very happy to read this post and I will must share it with others.Get Coir Matting from http://coirmattinguk.co.uk/coir-matting.html

Submitted by Abdul-Wadood on

Tips Regarding Gifts Packing contain this post. A lot of amazing ideas which make the process of Gifts packing is great. Packing in a good way is very necessary when we give a gift to anyone. Therefore, a lot of people are worry about such packing because they don't have idea of Packing like discussed in this article. However, I try to know about a site which is http://essaymama.org but here good effort done by the author of this article for us.

Submitted by primepapers on

Drupal Development Workflow with Git is now become very easy, effective and safe. Just need to have clear information about Drupal Develpment and Git like this article contain not only information but names of sources also have this article. I think https://getessayreview.wordpress.com/ this website little help to getting some more ideas related to that topic.

The writers working for this company go out of the way to give the perfect solution to students and offer them the premier assignment help facility.

Submitted by Gji on

This is really informative article, and i like the way you have explained

Submitted by kai johnson on

The information you have shared is really interesting. I appreciate the fact that you took the effort and the time to post here. Many people will surely appreciate this

Submitted by awriter.org on

Loved to read your blog. I would like to suggest you that traffic show most people read blogs on Mondays. So it should encourage blogger to write new write ups over the weekend primarily.
Great post! Interesting information and cute writing style.

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one, thanks for sharing this article. This article will be very useful and helpful. Read and understand the article and you will get a brilliant idea. I will share this information with my friends and they will certainly love to read this. Very informative, I’ll definitely give these 5 stars

I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again! - See more at: MrX4D

Great contant have about Drupal Development Workflow with Git in this article. I jump at the chance to think about Drupal Development which look like Wrodpress or Magento. Structure an awesome Drupal site can be an intricate and overwhelming improvement. There are a few assembling, extend and different potential outcomes associated with it please visit our website.. http://www.groovyessays.com/

Comments

Submitted by Christopher Dunning on

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for any help.

And thanks again for the great screencast.

Submitted by Ross00 on

Submitted by CarolineSmith on

Excellent screencast, Thank you!

Submitted by levis on

Submitted by Harry on

Submitted by Abdul-Wadood on

Submitted by primepapers on

Submitted by Gji on

This is really informative article, and i like the way you have explained

Submitted by kai johnson on

Submitted by awriter.org on

Great post! Interesting information and cute writing style.